MMSM Fashion Fest
On hiatus for 2020
Manitoba Eco Fashion Fest 2019
Take Pride Winnipeg! is hosting our third annual Manitoba Eco Fashion Fest, a province-wide contest which encourages students to create striking works of wearable art from everyday materials that would normally find its way into the recycling. Fashion Fest aims to inspire and ignite passion in students while educating them about the importance of recycling and reusing waste.
The challenge is to rework recyclable items and other previously enjoyed materials that are beyond their intended purpose and to craft them into one-of-a-kind fashion designs. Finalists will be invited to wear their designs at the Eco Fashion Fest, held in conjunction with Tim Hortons Team Up to Clean Up kick-off event, and they will be eligible for prizes.
All students grades K-12 in Manitoba are welcomed to participate. Students may enter as an individual or as a team of up to three students in your grade category.
One finalist from each grade and material category will be selected to compete for the grand prize. The grade categories are as follows:
Kindergarten – Grade 4 Grade 5 – 8 Grade 9 – 12
The material categories are as follows:
1. Materials that would otherwise be recycled in the blue bin
(see list of allowable materials at: http://simplyrecycle.ca/)
2. Materials that cannot be recycled in the blue bin but can be reused
(items found at thrift shops, plastic bags, any repurposed materials that would otherwise go to the landfill)
Items NOT allowed are:
· Items purchased new and then repurposed
· new fabric/garments purchased to create the base of your design, then covered with recycled materials (used clothing can be used as a base)
Deadline for submissions of entries is April 5, 2019.
1. Send your name, grade, school and name of your teacher to
2. Submit your photos to of your completed garment as well as a list of supplies that you used
3. Give a brief description of what your outfit is made of. You may include additional photos of the making of your garment (but not required)
Students selected as finalists will be notified by April 7, 2019 and invited to model their creations at the MMSM Eco Fashion Fest, at Grant Park Shopping Centre, April 18, 2019.
Thank you to Multi-Material Stewardship Manitoba for their sponsorship!
Here's an example from last year: