Bag Up Manitoba
MMSM Bag Up Manitoba -- Plastic Bag Roundup Challenge, a program of Take Pride Winnipeg! Inc.
See resutls from the 2013 program here! Stay tuned for details on the fall 2014 program!
Since the fall of 2008, elementary schools in Manitoba have collected over THREE MILLION plastic bags for recycling into free Frisbees and bird houses for their schools. Inspire your students to do more to reduce their waste and consider reusing, recycling and remanufacturing options! This challenge is open to elementary schools across Manitoba.
The goal of this challenge is to inspire students to do more to reduce their waste and consider reusing, recycling and remanufacturing options. Students are asked to collect as many plastic shopping bags as possible and bring them to their school for recycling.
How do Schools Get Involved in the Challenge?
MMSM Bag Up Manitoba is open to all elementary schools in Manitoba. We ask teachers and principals to register your schools.
- Sign up: contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your school. Please include your school's name, a contact name at the school, number of K-6 students in your school and the school's phone number.
- Collect and count: Encourage all students and teachers to collect as many plastic shopping bags as possible between September 29 and November 1, then report your final count to email@example.com during the week of November 4 to 8. Be sure to keep a running count as the bags come in to the school. Delays in reporting your final number cause difficulties when we pick up your bags, and tally the winners.
- Package: All plastic bags should be packaged into larger garbage bags for pickup or drop-off from November 12 to November 15.
- Receive: Two free bird houses made from recycled plastic bags. Also, the top 14 schools in rural and urban categories will receive one of the newly designed benches, also made from recycled plastic bags, courtesy of Trex.
- Drop Off/Pick Up: Gardewine Group Inc. will be the drop off site for bags from participating rural schools (contact Carrie for a list of locations). Winnipeg schools will have their bags picked up by BFI Canada, or Take Pride Winnipeg staff
- Visit: www.simplyrecycle.ca to see where you can recycle your bags throughout the year!
Full information will be sent out to schools across Manitoba later in September. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Carrie by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (204) 956-7590 ext. 203
How can the General Public Get Involved?
Take Pride Winnipeg! encourages everyone to reduce their contribution to the landfill. As schools register for the challenge, they may decide to accept plastic bags from the public. Please contact the principal and take your bags to a local school.
Take Pride Winnipeg! is proud to partner with Multi-Material Stewardship Manitoba (MMSM) to bring you this free and fun program. Take Pride Winnipeg! also acknowledges the support of BFI Canada, Gardewine Group Inc., Trex and Canada Safeway in helping MMSM Bag Up Manitoba 2013 be a great success.
Take Pride Winnipeg! is the first organization in Canada to develop educational programming on the responsible use and re-use of plastic shopping bags, targeted to children. The book, Timmy the Tumble Bag, and the Plastic Bag Roundup Challenge are revolutionary programs.
How Timmy Came to Life:
Plastic shopping bags themselves are not a problem; the problem arises when people who use them toss them away as litter or add them to a landfill instead of reusing or recycling.There had to be a way to educate the public about their responsibility and encourage a 3 “R’s” approach to plastic shopping bags so that they are used only when necessary, reused many times, and at the end of their useful life, recycled.So, the concept of Timmy the Tumble Bag was born! Timmy would become the key character in an educational reader targeted to elementary students in Winnipeg’s school system. The goal is to teach children at a young age about responsible use and the 3 “R’s” of plastic shopping bags and make it fun by issuing a reuse and recycling challenge in their school.
The official launch of Timmy the Tumble Bag and the Plastic Bag Roundup Challenge was held Monday, October 27, 2008, at Indigo Books & Music, 1590 Kenaston Boulevard, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Timmy the Tumble Bag - the book
Timmy the Tumble Bag follows the life of Timmy as a plastic shopping bag, from his original home in a store as a carry bag to new found freedom gaily tumbling around as a piece of litter until he is befriended by a boy who arranges for Timmy to be recycled and remanufactured into a Frisbee, to Timmy’s great delight.
The goal of the book is to encourage responsible use of products, including plastic shopping bags, and to teach students about another R - remanufacturing. Following the story are facts about plastic shopping bags, classroom activities and suggestions for discussions.
The book will be available for sale at the Take Pride Winnipeg! office. All proceeds from the sale of the book will benefit Take Pride Winnipeg! education programming.
Take Pride Winnipeg! plans to continue the sales of Timmy the Tumble Bag book and have secured funding if a second printing is required. If individuals, schools or other communities across Canada are interested in purchasing copies of Timmy the Tumble Bag, please contact Colleen Kurlowich, manager of programs & operations: email@example.com